The town of Gallipoli, defined as the ‘Ionian pearl’, is located in the western coast of Salento.
The town is divided into two areas: the ‘new town’ and the ‘old town’, connected by an ancient masonry bridge dating back to the XVII century.
Before the bridge there are: the Greek-Roman Fountain from the III century, finely decorated with bas-reliefs and suggestive mythological characters, and the Church of Santa Maria del Canneto, whose construction dates back to the XII century (it is considered as the fishermen’s church).
The historic centre (the old town) is a real islet surrounded by the ramparts and dominated by the Angevin Castle (erected in the end of the XV century). Among the narrow and uneven alleys, many churches and chapels (from different periods and in different styles) do guard duty: the most amazing – in Antonietta De Pace street - is definitely the Cathedral of Saint Agatha (1629). In this part of the town, there are also important aristocratic residences, such as Palazzo Granafei and its beautiful underground mill.
For those who wish to take advantage of the sunny day and take a quick swim, we suggest the Purity beach, located under the town walls and called like this, for it is right under the Church of Purity (sec. XVII).
In the ‘new town’, on the other side of the bridge, the main street is a succession of clothing shops and artisanal workshops, as well as ice cream parlours and delicatessens.
Do you wish to visit Gallipoli?