Salento set a new record: four beaches have been awarded the 5 Sails of the Blue Guide 2013 (a guide to Italy's best beaches published by Legambiente, the National Environmental Protection Association, and Touring Club). It’s the Municipality of Ostuni’s Spiaggia del Fiume Morello and Spiaggia di Torre Pozzella, which are ranked 9, the Municipality of Melendugno’s Falesie di Sant'Andrea and Spiaggia delle Cesine, which improved their position compared to 2013, and now stand at number 11, and two new entries: the Municipality of Otranto’s Approdo di Enea, Baia dell'Orte, Le Piscine di S. Cesarea and Spiaggia degli Alimini, and the Municipality of Nardò’s Porto Selvaggio, ranking 13 and 15 respectively. Another three beaches from the province of Lecce have been awarded the 4 Sails: the Municipality of Castro’s Seno dell'Acquaviva, the Municipality of Diso’s Cala dell'Acquaviva and the Municipality of Gallipoli’s Baia del Pizzo - Lido di Foggi. In all, seven beaches have been awarded for they targeted on ecotourism.
In fact, Legambiente and Touring Club gave the “blue” prize to the Italian beaches able to successfully combine good tourism and environmental quality, and Apulia -the Italian region with the highest number of awarded-winning beaches after Sardinia- hit a bull’s-eye with eleven beaches, seven of which are in the small peninsula of Salento. According to Legambiente, there you can spend unforgettable and high-quality holidays, thanks to the sustainable management of the territory, the policies for the landscape locally implemented, the supply of services respectful of the environment and high-level gastronomy.
Below is the list of the award-winning beaches:
- Spiaggia del Fiume Morello and Spiaggia di Torre Pozzella - Ostuni (BR) - 5 Sails
- Falesie di Sant'Andrea and Spiaggia delle Cesine - Melendugno (LE) - 5 Sails
- Approdo di Enea, Baia dell'Orte, Le Piscine di S. Cesarea and Spiaggia degli Alimini - Otranto (LE) - 5 Sails
- Porto Selvaggio - Nardò (LE) - 5 Sails
- Seno dell'Acquaviva - Castro (LE) - 4 Sails
- Cala dell'Acquaviva - Diso (LE) - 4 Sails
- Baia del Pizzo - Lido Li Foggi - Gallipoli (LE) - 4 Sails